Pav Bhaji is a popular Indian recipe, which is very tasty and mouth watering. In India, this dish is very well known. Here we have given a jain version of it in which potatoes, onions and any type of root vegetables are not used and still it is delicious. A special type of masala is a key ingredient in pav bhaji. first of all we will prepare that masala,called pav bhaji masala.
pav bhaji masala powder
2 small black cardamoms
4 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp Cumin seeds
2 tsp black peper corn
¾ tbsp. fennel seeds
5 red dry chilies
2 inch cinnamon
1 tbsp dry mango powder
- Clean the spices and discard stones.
- Dry roast all the ingredients one after the other except aamchur powder.
- Add dry mango powder to the hot ingredients to release dry mango ’s aroma.
- Once cool, make a fine powder.
- Seive it and in an air tight glass jar. Keeps good for 6 months in the fridge.
Pav bhaji masala is ready. Now we will prepare the Pav Bhaji.
Jain Pav Bhaji
For Red Chilli Paste:
5 whole dry kashmiri red chillies
3/4 cup boiled , peeled and mashed raw bananas
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup chopped capsicum
2 cups finely chopped tomatoes
2 tsp chilli powder
2 tbsp pav bhaji masala
salt to taste
3/4 cup boiled green peas
2 tbsp finely chopped coriander (dhania)
4 lemon wedges
1 tbsp chopped coriander (dhania)
12 tomato slices
For red chilli paste
- Soak the kashmiri dry red chillies in a small bowl with enough warm water for 30 minutes. Drain well.
- Add 2½ tbsp of water in it and blend to a smooth paste.
- Heat ghee in a deep non-stick kadhai,
add red chilli paste and saute on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
- Add capsicum and saute for 1 minute.
- Add tomatoes, chilli powder, pav bhaji masala, salt and ½ cup of water. Mix well, mash it lightly using a masher and cook on a medium flame for 7 to 8 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add green peas, raw bananas and ¾ cup of water, mix well, mash well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
- Add coriander and mix well.
- Now heat ghee in a non-stick tawa/pan. half cut the pav and put it on tawa. let it toast until it be golden brown.
- Now garnish bhaji with lemon and coriander and serve immediately with toasted pav and tomato slices.
Enjoy the jain version of a famous Indian dish Pav Bhaji.