Jainism followers are very strict about their foods. They never eat root vegetables like potatoes, onions, garlic, ginger etc. Also they avoid taking vegetables, fruits in their food for some days in a month. The days when Jainism followers avoid consuming the vegetables are known as ‘Tithi Days’ in Jain terminology. During the Tithi Days it is a question what to eat which is tasty as well as healthy and of course can make without vegetables or fruits. To solve this problem we have today Jain Recipes – Tithi Days Special.
1 cup Poha
1 cup Peanuts
1 cup besan
1/2 tsp cumin-coriander powder (Dhaniya-jeera powder)
1/2 tsp red chili powder
salt to taste
- Soak poha in one cup of water.
- Put the besan in a big bowl. Add a little water in the besan. Make batter for pakoda. There should not be bubbles in the batter.
- Now add cumin-coriander powder, red chili powder and salt and give good stir.
- Now add soaked poha in the batter by removing extra water from poha.
- Add peanuts in the batter.
- Heat oil in a kadai.
- Using your hand or a spoon put pakoda in the oil.
- Fry pakodras to golden brown.
- Hot and crispy pakodas are ready to serve.
Note : During regular days (not During the “Tithi” days), you can also add finely chopped green chili and coriander leaves in the batter to make more tastier pakodas.
Desi Maggie Noodles
1 cup besan
1.5 cup buttermilk (Chhash)
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
pinch of asafoetida
salt to taste
2 tbsp oil
1 tsp muster seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp red chili powder
- Heat the butter milk in a non-stick pan. Add turmeric powder, salt and asafoetida in the warm buttermilk. Give a stir. Now turn off the gas and add besan in the buttermilk. Stir well untill no bubbles are in it. Now turn on the gas and keep it on low flame. Cover the pan with a lid and let it cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Open the lid and let it cool for 5 minutes.
- Take sev sancha and put sev jaali in it. Drop prepared besan in the sev sancha.
- Drop the sev in a plate.
- Now for tempering heat the oil in a tempering bowl. Add muster seeds, cumin seeds and sesame seeds. turn of the gas.
- Now add red chili powder in the tempering bowl and pour and spread the temper on the sev in the plate by spoon.
- Tasty Desi Maggie Noodles are ready to eat.
Note : During regular days (not During the “Tithi” days), you can also add finely chopped green chili and coriander leaves in the temper to make Desi Noddles more tastier.