Today we are going to learn general information about Planets in Astrology.
Definitions says, “The objects that revolve around sun and do not produce light on their own are called planets”.
The very basis of Indian astrology is the nine planets.
Sun, Moon, Mars, Mercury, Jupiter, Venus, Saturn, Rahu and Ketu.
Apart from the aforesaid nine planets there is a planet called Gulika (Maandi) as well. Gulika is an astrologically significant planet.
General information about planets:
Saturn is situated the farthest and highest from Sun. The distance from Saturn to Sun is said to be 88,72,00,000 miles.
Jupiter is the next farthest planet from Sun after Saturn. Jupiter is located 49,39,00,000 miles away from Sun. Its diameter is 88700 miles.
The son of Earth, Mars is situated 14,10,00,000 miles away from the Sun. This 4250 miles- diameter planet is similar to and smaller than Earth.
The 865000-mile-diameter Sun stands 9,30,00,000 miles away from the Earth.
Mercury stands closest to Sun. It’s distance is 3,60,00,000 miles from Sun.
Venus is located 6,72,40,000 miles away from Sun. Venus moves between Earth and Mercury.
Moon moves around Earth. Therefore, the distance between moon and sun cannot be estimated correctly. The distance from moon to earth is 238850 miles. The moon with a diameter of 2158 miles is smaller than mercury.
In terms of size, earth comes third only after Sun and Jupiter. Its diameter is 7930 miles and its distance from Sun is 9,30,00,000 miles.
9) Rahu and Ketu
These are not real planets but are shadow planets. These are points where the earth’s transit cuts the moon’s transit. They move between the paths of Saturn and Jupiter. When all the planets move forward they move backward. These are imaginary. They take 18 years to complete one revolution around Sun and they remain in one Rasi for 1 ½ years.
Planetary movement time (to travel in a Rashi):
- SunIn one signOne monthMoonIn one sign2 ¼ daysMarsIn one sign49 daysMercuryIn one signOne monthVenusIn one signOne monthJupiterIn one sign361 days (1 year)SaturnIn one sign2 ½ yearsRahuIn one sign1 ½ yearsKetuIn one sign1 ½ years
- Mercury, Jupiter, VenusBeneficsFull moonBeneficSun, Mars, Saturn, Rahu, KetuMalefic
- Sun represents the soul, moon our heart, Mars our physical body, Mercury good communication skills, Jupiter intelligence, Venus love and Saturn sorrows.
- Except for Sun and Moon, the other planets sometimes stop their movement and move backwards. This is called retrograde motion or Vakram.
- When a planet moves fast from one sign to another, contrary to its natural path, it is called Adhicharam.
- When a planet stays in a sign for a longer time than needed it is called Grahasthambhanam.